A delicious and pretty beetroot and goat cheese tart topped with arugula, pecans and pomegranate arils. Perfect savoury meal for lunch or dinner!!! Love taste and vibrant colours!!!
For the crust
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ almond flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 140g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and well chilled
- 4-5 tbsp ice water
- 1 large or 2 small beets, scrubbed
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 120g goat cheese
- 360g skim ricotta cheese
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of arugula, washed and dried
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of candied or roasted pecans, roughly chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Rub 1 tsp of olive oil into the skin of the beets.
- Wrap beets in foil, place on a baking sheet and roast for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove skin and slice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, almond flour and the salt. Cut the butter into the flour by pulsing it 8 to 10 times in a food processor, being careful not to overheat and overmix the butter.
- Add the ice water. Using just your fingertips and working quickly, combine the flour mixture and the water. Work just until the water is absorbed.
- The dough will be ragged but should hold together when you squeeze it. If it seems dry, sprinkle on a few more drops of water.
- Gather the dough up into a ball — it’s fine if the dough does not come together completely at this time. Wrap the dough well in plastic wrap, flatten it a bit, and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least a half hour before rolling.
- The dough will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. You can also freeze the dough, well wrapped; allow it to defrost for a day in the refrigerator before using it.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Roll the dough into a large circle to overlap whatever sized tart pan you are using. Press the dough into the corners and into the sides of the tart pan. Trim off any excess dough. Prick dough all over with a fork
- Line the tart with baking paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake until the crust is golden brown (about 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Remove beans from tart and cool crust on a wire rack.
- Place goat cheese and ricotta cheese in a medium bowl and mix together with a fork. Spread cheese mixture into the bottom of the baked crust, top with sliced beetroots and sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Bake tart at 175°C for about 15 minutes or until goat cheese filling is warmed through.
- In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk together honey and balsamic vinegar. Add arugula and toss to coat the greens.
- Top baked tart with dressed greens, sprinkle with pomegranate arils and pecans. Cut tart and and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from Jelly Toast.