I’m so excited about this lemon cheesecake tart!!! It is buttery, creamy and with a strong flavor of citrus. And I have to add that it combines two of my favorites — lemon & cheesecake —in one mouthwatering dessert. The tart looks gorgeous topped with cream and fresh berries or edible flowers. By the way, currently we are trying to remove sugar from our diet, so I made it with a natural sweetener stevia. Well, the sweetness is a bit different but it doesn’t effect the overall flavor especially knowing that is much more healthier ;=]. Time to dig in!!!
Short Crust Pastry
- 235g all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g butter, chilled & cubed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 250 g package cream cheese, softened
- 200 g mascarpone
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zest & juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries
To make short crust pastry
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and salt. Add in chilled butter cubes and begin working the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles the texture of coarse sand. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Pour into the flour mixture and begin to gently toss with your hands, or with a fork until a ragged dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and gently press it into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C degrees.
- One your dough has chilled, remove the plastic wrap and set on a floured surface.
- Dust the top with a little more flour and roll the pastry out to 1/4 inch thickness; dusting with flour as needed.
- Lift the rolled pastry into the a fluted 9 inch tart shell and gently press into the sides of the pan. Take off any excess at the top of the shell & get a nice clean edge.
- Prick the base and the sides of the tart with a fork liberally. Place in the bottom third of the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes until it is just starting to go a light golden colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely to room temperature. Meanwhile, make your lemon filling.
To make lemon filling
- Beat together cream cheese and mascarpone until creamy and there are no lumps, being sure to stop to scrape down the sides of your bowl a few times.
- Add in sugar and lemon zest and beat until creamy. Add in lemon juice and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Next add in eggs one at a time, beating until combined before each addition.
- Pour filling into prepared & cooled tart shell.
- Place in the center rack of your oven and bake at 175°C degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden and the center of the lemon tart is set.
- Allow to cool completely to room temperature & then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from The sweet and simple kitchen.