I have to admit that I fell in love with figs after my first bite! A fig is one of the fabulously delicious fruits with a unique, sweet taste, soft and chewy texture. They can be eaten fresh, glazed, dried, roasted, stewed, preserved – very versatile and can go with both sweet and savory dishes. Figs are a very healthy option as well. They are high in soluble fibre, natural sugar and vitamin C.
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roasted
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Scraped seeds from 1/2 fresh vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 fresh figs
- mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the ricotta cheese, honey (or maple syrup), lemon zest and vanilla. Set aside.
- Cut the figs in half or trim off stems and cut an “X” in the top of each fig 1/3 way through. Place ricotta cheese in a plastic or piping bag and pipe it into each fig.
- Sprinkle with a few chopped pistachios and garnish with mint leaves.
The combination of ricotta cheese and figs just blew me away….
Recipe adopted from Floating Kitchen