Hummingbird cake is very popular in the Southern region of the United States. It contains pineapple chunks, banana, pecans (or walnuts), and is topped or layered with a cream cheese frosting. This cake is a kind of tropical version of carrot cake with nutty flavor and chunks of sweet and fresh ingredients. So, if you are a lover or carrot cake, I can bet that you will love it as well. It’s a real delight!!!
I’ve baked it for my hubby’s birthday and it was a success!!!. If you haven’t bake it, you should definitely make it a priority in your must try list.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1 ts baking powder
- 1 ts salt
- 1½ ts ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 ts vanilla extract
- 1 can (400 g) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cup of mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1 cup roasted pecans, finely chopped
- 300ml double (tickened) cream
- 300g mascarpone cheese
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g caramelized pecans
- figs or edible flowers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Prepare three 24 cm (9 inch) cake tins by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, pineapple, mashed bananas, and finely chopped pecans in another large bowl. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide batter among three prepared tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Sift the powdered sugar into the bowl with mascarpone, add vanilla extract, lemon juice and mix to combine. In a separate bowl whisk double cream until soft peaks and gradually incorporate it into cream cheese. Refrigerate it for half an hour.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of a cake and spread with some frosting. Then top with the next layer and spread over with some frosting. Repeat with the last layer of cake and coat the cake with the rest of the frosting. To decorate, you can sprinkle some caramelized pecans on the sides of the cake and add some fresh figs or edible flower on the top.
Inspired by add a pinch