Are you looking for a high protein alternative to regular pancakes? Try this recipe for a healthy breakfast packed with protein, healthy carbs from oats and banana to give your body energy for a great start of the day! The base to these pancakes is ricotta. If you are following my blog, you already know that I’m obsessed with it!
I usually have these pancakes as my second meal in the morning after my workout. I love them as they have no added sugar and I can always improvise by adding different berries, seeds or nuts. They can also be a good alternative for grab & go.
Yields ~ 7-8 pancakes
- 500 g fresh ricotta
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1/3 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (or oats flour)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1 scoop (30 g) protein powder (I use MHP Maximum Whey vanilla milkshake flavour)
- coconut oil or spray
- Toss rolled oats in the blender and blend until you have flour.
- In a large bowl break up ricotta with fork. You can leave some lovely chunks of ricotta.
- Add egg yolks, banana, vanilla and cinnamon into ricotta and mix with fork. Then add milk, oat flour and protein powder and mix everything until well combined.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. First add a third of the egg whites to the ricotta mix and fold them in gently. Then incorporate the rest of whites till mixture is more or less homogenous. You’re looking for a consistency slightly thicker, not runny. If it’s too runny, add in a bit more protein powder; if it’s too tick, add more milk.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a low heat with a little coconut oil (or spray with oil) and spoon in the pancake mixture (two tablespoons per pancake). Cook over a low heat so that it cooks through. When you will see holes on the surface of the pancakes and the tops of the pancakes start to look dry around the edges, flip them over and cook the other side. (It can be tricky to flip them over as their texture is different than regular pancakes; I use two small pans of 11.5 cm diameter and flip a pancake from one pan to another.)
- Serve warm with fresh berries and/or a side of Greek style yogurt.