Coffee caramel hazelnut entremet is absolutely divine! It composed of coffee genoise, coffee caramel mousse and crunchy caramelised hazelnuts. The flavours and texture are spot on! The pungent coffee flavour is fused with the sweet and deep note of caramel and nutty crunchy hazelnuts. You won’t be disappointed!
Yields cake of size 20 x 20 cm (8″ x 8″)
- 260 g eggs
- 135 g sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 20 g corn flour
- 7 g instant coffee
- 30 g whipping cream
- 40 g unsalted butter
Coffee caramel mousse
- 100 g sugar
- 100 g whipping cream
- 11 g instant coffee
- 100 g milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 120 g sugar
- 10 g sheet gelatine (6 sheets), bloomed
- 480 g whipping cream, whipped
- 3 tbsp Tia Miara (or any coffee liqueur of your choice)
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 3 tsp sugar
- 120 g hazelnuts
- 70 g granulated sugar
- To make coffee genoise preheat oven to 180°C and line a parchment paper on a 22 cm baking pan.
- Bring whipping cream to boil & dissolve the coffee, set aside for latter.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water, beat with electric beater at high speed until hot then remove from heating (observe temperature of mixture as it can curdle). Continue beating for another 3 min or until pale and fluffy.
- Mix and sieve in the flours, gently fold until combine.
- Melt the butter until it goldens, add the butter and fold gently until combine.
- Add in coffee milk and fold gently until combine.
- Pour into two prepared pans and bake for 8-10 min.
For caramelised hazelnuts roast the nuts at 140°C for 15 min and line a tray with a parchment paper. When cool, remove the skins.
In a clean pan, heat sugar until it caramelises. Add the nuts and mix gently until most nuts are coated in caramel.
Pour the nuts on the tray and leave to set. Once set, chop roughly and use for decoration.
To make caramel sauce, caramelise the sugar in the saucepan, then carefully pour the warm whipping cream and stir until smooth.
To make mousse, pour milk to a small saucepan, bring it to boil, then dissolve the coffee.
In another saucepan, combine egg yolks and sugar, pour in the coffee milk with stirring to 82°C. Stir in the bloomed gelatine. Pour in the caramel sauce and stir until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream.
- For the syrup mix all ingredients and set aside.
To assemble, place the cake at the bottom of 20 cm square cake ring, brush generous amount of cake syrup on the cake. Pour half of the caramel coffee mousse and sprinkle caramelised hazelnuts on top.
Place another cake on top and gently press top, brush cake syrup on the cake. Pour the remaining coffee mousse and refrigerate to set. Remove carefully from the ring and decorate with caramelised hazelnuts.
Recipe adopted from Yup Handi