The lemon poppy seed pancakes are very light, fluffy and bright with a punch of citrus and crunchiness of poppy seeds. Usually, I love trying new combinations and rarely make exactly the same recipe more than once unless it’s perfect in my eyes. Yes, I do have favourite recipes and this one is among them. Boys love them, especially for weekend brekkie!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or appropriate amount of stevia for healthier option)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- apple sauce, for serving (optional)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a seperate mixing bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar with lemon zest, then blend in buttermilk, lemon juice, eggs, lemon extract, vanilla extract and melted butter.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into well in flour mixture and whisk just until nearly combined (don’t over-mix).
- Pour about 1/3 of a cup of batter into the skillet. Wait until the pancake bottom is deep golden in color, then flip with a spatula and cook the other side until golden and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with apple sauce or fresh berries.
Recipe adopted from Cooking classy