Quinoa salad with watermelon, halloumi cheese, strawberries and pistachios is healthy and full of flavour. High in protein and fiber, quinoa is not only versatile, it also has a subtle flavour with a fluffy, creamy and slightly crunchy texture. This is an absolutely beautiful salad with refreshing watermelon and sweet strawberries balanced by salty halloumi cheese. I really enjoyed it!
- 200 g quinoa
- 50 g pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g halloumi cheese, cut into 10-12 slices
- 400 g watermelon, cut into chunks
- 7 large strawberries, halved lengthways
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- large bunch either parsley, mint, coriander or basil, or a mixture, chopped, reserving a few leaves to serve
- Rinse the quinoa under cold running water to remove its bitter flavour. Put into a pan and add double the amount of salted water. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender and the liquid is absorbed. Fluff it up with a fork.
- While it’s still hot, drizzle with olive oil, squeeze over the juice from the lemons and add the zest.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in the pan. Add the halloumi slices and fry for 2-3 mins on each side or until golden.
- Add strawberries, herbs and pistachios to the quinoa and toss well. Transfer to a platter, top with the watermelon and halloumi, and scatter with the reserved herbs. Enjoy!