Macchiato cupcakes – coffee chocolate sponge topped with blueberry cheese cream frosting and sprinkled with some caramelised walnuts. They are incredibly moist and so full of flavour.
Yields ~25 cupcakes
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup pure cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup espresso or strong coffee
- 250 g cream cheese, softened
- 250 ml thickened cream
- 200 g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 200 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C degrees. Add sugar to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt into the sugar bowl. Whisk, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla. Add this mixture to the sugar/flour mixture of the stand mixer bowl. Using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients on low just until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- With mixer off, pour in the espresso and boiling water. Mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be runny. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake cups. Fill each cup to 3/4 full (about 3 tbsp). Bake cupcakes for 25 minutes (but start checking at 22 minutes using the toothpick test).
- Once out of the oven cool cupcakes, in pan, on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and let cool completely before icing.
- For frosting, in a small bowl beat cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a small pan heat the blueberries and sugar until sugar dissolves and blueberries soften. Blend the mixture until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and blueberry puree. Beat until smooth then fold in whipped cream.
- Pipe the cream cheese frosting on the cupcakes and decorate with caramelized walnuts (optional).
These cupcakes are very moist and the tops can be sticky.
Cake recipe adopted from Vanilla and bean