Have you ever tasted Black Forest Cake, a rich chocolate cake layered with cream and cherries? I have made my version of black forest crepes, chocolate crepes with a fluffy and light mascarpone filling, topped with fresh cherries and drizzled with chocolate sauce. They are so good that can be served as not only for breakfast, brunch but for dessert as well!
For chocolate crepes
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp pure cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp melted butter, slightly cooled
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh cherries, halved and pitted
- 200 g mascarpone
- 200 ml heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tbsp sugar
For chocolate sauce
- 100 ml cream
- 25 ml milk
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 10 g pure cacao powder
- 1 tbsp kirch (optional)
- ½ cup fresh cherries
- ½ cup chocolate sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all crepe batter ingredients and whisk vigorously until smooth. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, pour about ⅓-1/2 cup batter, covering the entire bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the top looks mostly cooked too, even before flipping. Carefully flip the crepe over, and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Remove crepe from the pan to a plate or platter, and continue making crepes with remaining batter.
- Make filling. In a small bowl, combine sugar and mascarpone. Then gently fold in whipped cream until uniformly distributed. Stir in cherries to mascarpone mixture.
- Divide filling among crepes, spooning it across the diameter of each crepe, and then roll them into tubes or folding into triangles.
- Make chocolate sauce. Place the cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from heat and gently whisk in chocolate and cocoa until smooth. Stir in kirsch, if desired. Serve warm.
- Drizzle crepes with chocolate sauce and top with cherries. Enjoy!