This fresh salad is full of hearthy quinoa, crisp kale, creamy avocado, sweet cherries and a nutty touch of walnuts. The kale quinoa and cherry salad serves great as a side dish or even alone. Its colour looks very pretty and impressive on a table of festive foods!
Kale gained large popularity among healthy eaters. There is at least several reasons why it is considered as super good. Kale contains an abundance of vitamin C, an immune booster, antioxidant an supports collagen. It is also packed with calcium, fiber, and mass quantities of vitamins A and K, as well as a number of essential minerals. This leafy green prevents heart disease and fights again cancer. It promotes brain health and clear skin. Finally addition, kale is low in calories. Shortly, kale is a magic!
After I discovered kale, I used it mainly for my smoothies. However, a bit later I figured out that it can be a very pleasant addition to salads and even soups (check this kale & beetroot soup recipe). I have noticed that kale tastes better and gets tender after it marinates longer. So you can prepare kale few hours in advance (or night before).
- 4 packed cups kale, stalks removed & finely shredded
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tbs spring onion, chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice
- 1 cup cherries, pitted & halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- salt & pepper
- Blanch kale in boiling water for 30 seconds – 1 minute. Strain and allow to cool (can cool quickly in an ice bath).
- Meanwhile toast walnuts and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine kale, quinoa, parsley, spring onion and avocado.
- Stir through olive oil and lemon juice to combine well. Season to taste.
- Stir through cherries.
- Stir through walnuts just before serving.
Recipe adopted from Goodness