An easy tart recipe with fresh cherries wrapped in a simple, buttery crust with a smooth cheesecake layer. These mini cherry tarts are simple to make and look stunning. The classic combination of cherries and almonds is irresistible. It’s a perfect summer treat! Oh, what can be better than spoiling yourself with this delight after picking sweet cherries in a fruit farm?!
For the crust
- 1 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 125 g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
For the filling
- 225 g cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the topping
- 300 g fresh cherries
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the pastry, process flour, icing sugar, almond meal and butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Process until dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead until just smooth.
- Shape into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pie crust to fit mini tart pans with removable bottom. Press into pan, use a fork to prick entire surface of dough. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Line pastry with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights or rice and paper. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden.
- Remove crusts from oven and reduce oven temperature to 160°C.
- To make filling, beat cream cheese until completely smooth in a large bowl. Mix in sugar, salt and vanilla, followed by heavy cream.
- Finally, mix in egg. Beat only until batter is just combined.
- Spread filling into an even layer in pre-baked crusts. Bake for 20 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool on a wire rack until cheesecake is room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator to chill completely.
- Top off with cherries. Dust with powdered sugar before serving and decorate with fresh mint leaves.
- Store in the refrigerator.