Citrus Pomegranate and Strawberry Salad is healthy and refreshing fruit salad with only four ingredients soaked in their own juices. It’s easy to make for yourself for breakfast and lovely enough to serve for a special occasion. Enjoy its sweet and sour goodness!
Yields ~2 servings
- 1 pink grapefruit, halved
- 1 naval orange
- 1 ½ cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds, for garnish (optional)
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Using a small serrated knife, loosen the segments in one grapefruit half by carefully cutting around the inside perimeter between the fruit and the peel. Then, make two cuts on the inside of each segment to loosen it from the membrane; carefully pull out each segment or let them fall into a bowl.
- Repeat with the second half of grapefruit. Remove any remaining pieces of membrane in the bottom of the grapefruit “bowls” using a kitchen scissors or spoon. Cut any large grapefruit segments in half.
- Cut 0.5 cm slice off the top and bottom of the orange and stand it upright on end. Following the contour of the fruit, slice off the peel and pith in thick strips. Hold the orange over a bowl and make two cuts on the inside of each segment to loosen it from the membrane. Carefully pull out each segment or let them fall into a bowl. Cut any large segments of orange in half.
- Combine the grapefruit and orange segments in a small bowl along with any accumulated juices.
- Add strawberries and pomegranate seeds. Toss gently and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To serve, divide the salad between the grapefruit shells and garnish with mint leaves and poppy seeds, if desired.
Recipe adopted from Culinary Hill