A moist and delicious semolina cake flavored with a touch of orange, crunchy pistachio crumble and spicy mascarpone. This beautifully textured cake is soft, crumbly, and crunchy all at once. I have never tried before a semolina cake and I was really intrigued after I saw this recipe on My Kitchen Rules. Well, it is a very moist cake with a beautiful pistachio crumble and refreshing mascarpone. If you prefer dense and sweet cakes, you should go for it!
- 150g caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 6 cloves
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
- 5 eggs
- 220 g caster sugar
- 160 g semolina
- 90 g desiccated coconut
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs finely grated orange zest
- 250 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 10 mins
- 1 cup pistachios
- 60 g caster sugar
- 50 g chilled butter, chopped
- 250 g mascarpone
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- To make the syrup, stir all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened and syrupy. Cool. Strain.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20 cm x 30 cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper.
- To make cake, place all ingredients except butter into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until thick and combined. Add butter. Beat until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Pierce hot cake all over with a skewer. Drizzle with the syrup.
- To make pistachio crumble, process pistachios in a small processor to form coarse crumbs. Add remaining ingredients. Process to form coarse crumbs. Spread mixture in a thin layer on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake for about 7-10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
- To make spiced mascarpone, combine mascarpone, sugar, paste and spices in a bowl. In a separate bowl beat thickened cream until soft peaks form. Add to mascarpone. Stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle cake with pistachio crumble. Serve with spiced mascarpone.
Recipe adopted from My Kitchen Rules