Thai Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango is one of the most delicious Asian desserts. It consists of glutinous sticky rice, seasoned with salty-sweetcoconut milk and served with tender, fragrant mango.
For the rice
- 1 1/2 rice (glutinous)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 mango fruits, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Start by combining the water and rice in a saucepan, then bringing them to a boil.
- Reduce the heat from medium to low and cover the saucepan.
- Simmer the mixture for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the water is completely absorbed. At this point, you shouldn’t be able to see any water, just the rice that has absorbed it all.
- In the mean while, mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 cup coconut milk and 1/2 salt in a second saucepan over medium-high heat, bringing them to a boil.
- Now remove them from heat, and put the saucepan aside.
- Once the rice has absorbed all of the water, stir it into the coconut milk-based mixture you have just made, then cover it. Allow it to cool for about 60 minutes.
- Make the sauce. Mix together 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, tapioca starch, and 1/2 cup coconut milk in a separate saucepan, and bring the entire mixture to a boil.
- Serve the rice on a plate, pour the sauce over the rice, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and top with mango (I served on the side).
Recipe adopted from Mangoes and Palmtrees