Orange avocado & fennel salad is a dish celebrating seasonal veggies and fruits. Fennel has unique aromatic flavour similar to liquorice. I love the colours and shapes of the ingredients. Note, the secret of this salad is that all the veggies has to be sliced very thin. Also, I think that next time I will add some pistachios to give earthiness to this amazing salad. Don’t be afraid to experiment and go with your instincts!
Yields ~ 4 servings (side dish)
- 6 oranges (different variaties, e.g. novel, blood etc)
- ½ fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- ½ shallot, peeled and very thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- reserved fennel fronds
- Slice the peels off of the oranges and place in a bowl or on a serving plate. Layer with thinly slivered fennel slices. Add avocado slices and shallot slivers.
- In a small bowl, slowly whisk the olive oil into the champagne vinegar until emulsified. Add the honey and whisk to mix. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and season with more kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Top with reserved fennel fronds and mint leaves.
Recipe adopted from Foodie crush.