These pretzel hot dogs are superb! They are very easy to make, they are buttery, soft and delicious! Little ones will love them. It’s a good choice for lunch box as well 😉
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup baking soda
- 4 tbsp (~ 55 g) butter, melted
- 8 hot dogs, cut in half
- salt (coarse sea salt if possible)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- Fit your mixer with a dough hook attachment. Add flour and salt to the bowl. Mix on medium-low speed until smooth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal sized pieces. Roll each piece into a long log (about 8 inches long). Wrap a rolled piece of dough around one hot dog half and pinch the ends together to keep it from unraveling. Repeat with remaining dough and hot dogs. Allow to rest while you prepare the next steps.
- Preheat oven to 205°C. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of water to boil (about 6-8 cups). Add baking soda to water.
- Use a slotted spoon to place dough-wrapped hot dogs in the boiling water (do 4 at a time). Allow to boil for 30 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
- Once all hot dogs have boiled, place them all on the prepared baking sheet. Brush melted butter over the hot dogs. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Bake about 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Serve warm with your favourite sauces. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from Le creme de la crumb.