I love the flavor of this zucchini and ricotta tart which incorporates some fresh, baby zucchini and almonds for crust. It can be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner depending on what you serve with it. It is definitely worth of trying! You will love it!
For the crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut to small cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- about 2 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced into circles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 85 g goat cheese , room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- For the crust, combine the flour, almond meal and salt in a large bowl in a food processor. Drop in butter chunks to the flour mixture in a food processor as you pulse until just cut in.
- Drizzle in a tablespoon of cold water a little at a time until the crumbs just come together enough to form a ball. Discontinue adding water when that happens.
- Remove from the food processor, shape into a disc, sprinkle both sides with flour, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 10 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with flour and use a rolling pin to roll out to a 30 cm circle about 0.3 cm thick.
- Gently fold in half and place in a 22 cm pie pan. Unfold and press into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim edges with a sharp knife.
- Poke the bottom of the crust in several places with a fork and bake for about 8 minutes or just until the crust begins to brown. Set aside while you make the filling.
- For the filling, in a frying pan, heat the olive oil and cook the zucchini rounds until tender. Remove from the pan and place evenly across the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, goat cheese, eggs, lemon zest and milk. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the top with the toasted almonds nuts and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the edges are firm to touch and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to come to room temperature before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from Italian food forever.