Roasting the tomatoes and eggplant gives deeper flavour of the soup. It is very delicious, vegan and gluten free soup!!!
- 1.35 kg tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- 225 g carrots, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large eggplant, (about 700 g), cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- toasted rustic bread, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 215°C with racks on top and bottom. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together tomatoes, carrots, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer, with tomatoes cut sides down.
- On another rimmed baking sheet, toss together eggplant, chickpeas, curry powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer. Place both sheets in oven (tomato mixture on top rack). Roast until tender, tossing mixtures halfway through, about 45 minutes.
- Using tongs, peel off and discard tomato skins. Puree tomato mixture (including juices) in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a large pot. Stir in eggplant mixture; thin with 3 to 4 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, sprinkled with cilantro; garnish with bread, if desired.
Recipe adopted from Martha Stewart.