Blueberries and rhubarb taste so delicious together. This easy and tasty crumble is a perfect summer dessert which can be served with ice cream! Let’s celebrate rhubarb season!
For the streusel
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus room temperature butter for pan
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup flour
For the bars
- 225g rhubarb, cut into 1cm pieces
- 225g blueberries
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting finished bars
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Butter a 22 cm square baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 5cm overhang on 2 sides. Butter and flour parchment paper and pan, tapping out the excess flour. Set aside.
- Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, blueberries, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the flour. In another medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cup of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan. Top with rhubarb and strawberry mixture, then top with prepared streusel.
- If you like to have some of the pretty red of the rhubarb and strawberries show on top, poke a few pieces up through the streusel.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a bit of moist crumbs attached, about 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and, using the parchment paper overhang, lift cake from pan. Cut into bars and dust with powdered sugar. Serve as is, or with some ice cream!
Recipe adopted from A farm girls dabbles.