A Key lime pie is full of clean and bright notes. It is very easy to make and even easier to fell in love with it. Key Lime pie is a tart filled with sweetened condensed milk, lots of lime zest and juice, and just enough egg to give it a good set, and finally topped with whipped cream.
Yields 22 cm round pie
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 20g desiccated coconut
- 100g butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp of ground ginger
- 1 pinch of salt
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 130ml lime juice (it was a bit overpowering for me, next time I will reduce till 120ml)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1½ tbs finely grated lime zest
- 400ml can coconut cream, chilled overnight
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2½ tbs icing sugar
- toasted coconut flakes and finely grated lime zest, to serve
- To make pie base, grease a 22cm round fluted tart tin with removable base.
- Process biscuits in a food processor until finely crushed.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Press evenly over base and side, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- To make filling, whisk all ingredients using an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
- Pour into pan over base and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for two hours.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk thickened cream and sugar until firm peaks form.
- Open chilled coconut cream and scrape away top thickened layer. Fold it into whipped cream.
- Pipe or spread mixture over top of pie and decorate with coconut flakes and lime zest. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from MKR.