This Spiral Vegetable Ricotta Pie will definitely impress your friends and relatives. It is made from natural, clean ingredients and looks impressive. This pie is filled with healthy vegetables, i.e. carrots, zucchini, and eggplant providing your body with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It will satisfy cheese lovers cravings as well by incorporating ricotta and parmesan cheese to give that creamy flavour emphasised with a dash of nutmeg.
Yields 22 cm pie
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta (~350g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt + more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp pepper + more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 store-bought round puff pastry dough
- 2 zucchini, sliced thinly and lengthwise
- 3 carrots, peeled, sliced thinly and lengthwise
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced thinly and lengthwise
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh parsley
- Mix the ricotta, eggs, half of the Parmesan, nutmeg (if using), salt & pepper in a bowl.
- Unroll the puff pastry dough on a greased baking pan, then prick it with a fork.
- Pour the ricotta mixture on the dough.
- Make sure that the vegetable slices are of similar height before starting to put them in the pie.
- Starting from the outer edge, line the pie with the vegetables, one kind per line. Alternate with the other vegetables until you reach the central part.
- Once the pie is finished, drizzle or brush the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper & the remaining parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180ºC for 1 hour in the middle rack.
- If you see that the pie is already brown before 1 hour, take it out of the oven, cover it with an aluminum foil and finish cooking it until the hour ends.
Recipe adopted from Apron and Sneakers.