Homemade granola can be a healthy and delicious breakfast option. Usually granola found in stores is high in sugar and contains unhealthy ingredients such as preservatives, flavor enhancers, and processed oils and fats. However, you can have a control over the ingredients and choose only your desired ones when making it yourself. It is pretty easy to make granola at home. All you need is a little raw honey or maple syrup, rolled oats, coconut oil, some seeds and dried fruits!
- 2 cups raw, whole rolled oats
- ½ cup raw nuts, chopped (I used hazelnuts)
- ¼ cup raw seeds (sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
- ½ cup unsweetened dried fruit, chopped (I used raisins and goji berries)
- 2-3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or other healthy cooking oil)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use your clean hands to mix well and toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Cool before serving or storing.
- This granola can be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Recipe adopted from Elizabeth Rider.